In this post from Vaca and Kirby in Longview TX we focus on behaviors that influence dental health. Of course, regular brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is needed for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice – it really can crack teeth!
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are bad for teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Always refrain from using your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Consider safety and health when getting piercings in or around your mouth. If you do end up piercing those areas, you must adhere to a rigorous dental health routine or risk your teeth being damaged by the metal.
- If you feel pain, visit the dentist. It seems obvious, but a lot of us ignore tooth pain or sensitivity. Instead of waving it off, visit us for a quick check. Chances are it’s nothing; but if it is serious, you’re going to want us in there sooner, rather than later.
- Make sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Hard bristles and rough brushing can damage enamel.
At Vaca and Kirby in Longview TX, we encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. Patients from Gladewater, Hallsville, and New Diana come to our practice for general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!
Contact Vaca & Kirby Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
3121 H G Mosley Pkwy