Straighter Teeth & Easier Treatment with Invisalign™
Choosing to straighten your teeth is a big decision that affects not only your appearance, but your lifestyle as well. As an adult, you may be looking to improve your smile for business and social reasons, or even for a special occasion like your wedding day. Perhaps you’re a teen or the parent of a teen looking for an effective yet modern-day orthodontic solution. Either way, Invisalign™ can provide a simple way to accomplish this without having to put your life on hold. Take a moment to learn more about the entire Invisalign treatment process and how it can help you. Drs. Vaca and Kirby are passionate about the benefits achieved through the Invisalign process. Let them guide you in your decision to regain a beautiful smile and self-confidence. You’ll be glad you did! To get started, simply contact Vaca & Kirby Dental in Longview today. We’ll schedule a consultation appointment to help you determine whether or not Invisalign is the right orthodontic solution for you.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign™ takes a modern approach to straightening teeth, using a custom-made series of clear plastic alignment trays created for you and only you. These trays are made of smooth, comfortable, and virtually invisible plastic that you will wear over your teeth. Each set of alignment trays represents the positioning of your teeth one step closer to your ideal smile alignment. Wearing the aligners will gradually and gently shift your teeth into place based on the exact movements your dentist plans out for you. There are no metal brackets to attach and no wires to tighten with frequent orthodontic visits, which will save you a large amount of time over the course of treatment. You’ll need to visit our office every six to eight weeks for checkup visits to ensure your smile is moving into position according to the treatment plan. You just wear each set of alignment trays and pop in a new set of aligners approximately every two weeks until your treatment is complete. You’ll achieve your desired smile alignment with little interference in your daily life. The best part about the whole process is that most people won’t even know you’re straightening your teeth. You’ll look and feel great throughout the course of your orthodontics treatments.
What Orthodontic Treatments are Possible with Invisalign?
In the past, only the most basic orthodontic solutions were possible with Invisalign clear braces, but today, we can use Invisalign orthodontics to reshape smiles and even realign teeth with severe over, under, or crossbite. Traditional clear alignment tray orthodontics are only beneficial to realign slightly misaligned teeth and to even out the spacing of teeth that are crowded or too far apart. We can use elastics attached to tooth-colored nobs on teeth to shift the entire alignment of the bite. These elastics function much the same way that elastic bands attached to traditional orthodontic brackets do. They can be adjusted to place pressure that shifts the entire bite together rather than just moving individual teeth the way that traditional Invisalign treatment did.
Benefits of Invisalign Compared with Traditional Braces
Unlike traditional bracket and wire braces, patients who choose to straighten their smiles with Invisalign orthodontics can expect to experience a wide range of benefits, including:
- Saved time – throughout the course of treatment, patients will not need to visit the office as frequently as they would for bracket and wire adjustments at their orthodontist’s office. They also save overall treatment time. Invisalign orthodontic alignment is completed in about twelve months compared with traditional bracket and wire braces that can take 24 months or longer.
- No hassle – patients can remove their Invisalign trays at any time, so there’s no need to worry about changing your diet or oral hygiene routine during Invisalign treatment. Simply remove your aligner trays and enjoy your favorite meals and brush and floss as usual.
- Comfort – bracket and wire braces can irritate soft tissue in addition to the discomfort patients experience directly following an adjustment. When you first switch to a new set of Invisalign trays, you can experience some discomfort. However, there’s no soft tissue irritation, and patients report that Invisalign is much more comfortable overall compared with traditional braces.
- Improved oral health – patients who straighten their smiles with Invisalign will be able to keep their smiles healthy throughout the treatment without changing their regular oral hygiene routines. Following orthodontic alignment, patients are also more likely to maintain healthy smiles. Straighter smiles evenly displace pressure on teeth, so you are less likely to chip or crack a tooth that receives greater pressure. Evenly spaced and properly positioned teeth are also easier to keep cleaning, reducing your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
Who Should Consider Invisalign Orthodontics?
Invisalign clear braces are effective to treat patients with even the most advanced orthodontic alignment concerns. Any patient who wants to straighten their teeth should consider Invisalign clear braces. Patients who are good candidates for Invisalign include:
- Those who do not have the time in their schedules for frequent orthodontic adjustments or who want to complete orthodontic treatment more quickly may want to consider Invisalign
- Those who play a wind instrument or contact sport may benefit from treatment with Invisalign to avoid unnecessary discomfort or damage that can occur when brackets and wires irritate soft tissue
- Patients who want to achieve straighter, healthier smiles but don’t want to adversely impact their appearance with metal brackets and wires
Will I Need a Retainer?
Yes. You will still need to wear a retainer following Invisalign treatment. After any form of orthodontic treatment, your teeth have shifted into a new placement, but it takes time for the underlying supportive bone and soft tissue to reattach to the tooth roots to hold the teeth in their new positions. By wearing retainers for a year or longer, the supportive alveolar bone tissue will harden around the tooth roots to anchor them into position. The gum tissue also reattaches to the underlying structures of teeth. You’ll need to wear your retainer all day for about six months to a year. Then, you can begin wearing the retainers only during sleep for about year, and eventually, you will only need to wear the retainers a few nights a week. Finally, you won’t need to wear your retainer at all.
When you’re considering how to effectively correct your bite flaws, the thought of wearing metal braces may appear to be the only available route. This gives you flashbacks of those awkward high school days. Is there a solution that’s more suitable for adult life? Thankfully, there’s a better way to get the smile you want – with Invisalign clear aligners. When you visit Vaca & Kirby Dental in Longview to have your bite corrected, either Dr. Vaca or Dr. Kirby will make sure you leave with a dazzling set of teeth. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and to get on the path to smile perfection!