Remove Pain & Anxiety from the Dental Equation
With sedation dentistry, there is no reason to be afraid to visit the dentist. Drs. Vaca and Kirby can even use it to complete years of dental treatments within a few appointments, making your smile beautiful in virtually no time at all.
If you experience anxiety when it comes to visiting the dentist, then sedation dentistry can help you. This will allow you to finallyget the treatments you need for any number of tooth ailments. We can perform root canals, gum disease treatment, and any restorative dentistry while you’re under sedation at our office.
If the thought of going to the dentist scares you and you’re interested in sedation dentistry in Longview, TX, be sure to give us a call at 903-663-0861. We’ll be glad to schedule you for a consultation visit. We’ll help you determine if dental sedation is right for you.
Some important sedation dentistry facts include:
- All sedation is safe.
- You’ll be able to receive extensive treatments in a single visit.
- You’ll be able to relax through your visit.
- You won’t feel pain or anxiety.
- Dental sedation is extremely common, especially for non-routine dental procedures.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Dental sedation is a great way to help ease any fears or anxieties about your time in the dental chair. It can not only help you to face the appointment with much less stress, but also provides the following perks:
- When you’re relaxed, your treatment can be done faster, and in fewer sessions, ultimately resulting in less chair time. Efficiency is on your side.
- Sedation reduces your gag reflex. This is helpful for anyone, as they get dental work, but it’s especially beneficial for those who have a particularly strong or sensitive gag reflex.
- Overall muscle tension goes down, including clenched jaw muscles. This eases your body, which makes you more comfortable, and makes our job smoother.
- Sedation can also help reduce any normal discomfort. If you don’t like the way our tools feel on your teeth, even though they are causing no pain, sedation may help reduce those sensations.
Each of our sedation options also comes with a unique set of benefits that can help us find the right choice for you and your procedure. Read about those choices below.
How Does Sedation Dentistry Work?
There are several types of sedation dentistry, and each of them work a little differently. At Vaca & Kirby Dental, we offer three types: conscious sedation, laughing gas, and IV. Each form of sedation serves a different purpose and may be right for you depending on the procedure and your level of dental fear.
Oral Conscious Sedation
This sedation method is ideal for patients who have quite a bit of dental fear, or for those who are undergoing procedures such as fillings, crowns, or root canals.
Doctors will prescribe you medication to take the day of your procedure. You’ll take it while at home so that by the time you reach our office, you’ll be completely physically and mentally relaxed.
While you’ll still be awake, many patients leave with little to no memory of their treatment.
Laughing Gas Sedation
The form of sedation known as laughing gas is great for patients who are only slightly nervous about their next appointment. The gas itself is colorless and odorless, and it is administered through a small nasal mask.
Within a few moments, a patient will feel a warm, comforting sensation throughout their entire body. Once their treatment is over, the mask will be removed, and the effects will dissipate within seconds.
Afterward, a patient will have no lasting drowsiness and will be able to go on with their day normally.
This is our most powerful form of sedation, and it is typically used for patients with extreme dental fear, those who have difficulties sitting still for an entire appointment, or those wanting to have multiple procedures in one visit.
IV sedation will be administered by our in-house periodontist via a painless injection in the arm. The advantage of this method is that it works very quickly, and your doctor can adjust your sedation level throughout your procedure so that you’ll always be perfectly comfortable.